Tuesday 30 December 2008

....What Class?

I have been looking into what class i would like to play when i create my character. the two that relly appeal to me are the Champion and the Guardian classses, but neither really have any greater appeal to me than the other.

these are my feelings about the classes:

First of all the Champion is a great tank and has a rather good DPS out put, witch would be good for grinding and solo play. however, it cannot use heavy sheilds unlike the Guardian, which may make it less capable/effective at tanking end game bosses, even though the extra DPS with help towrds threat, it will be useless if you can't take the damage and you die.

Now a Guardian is a class designed to be a main tank, it can use heavy shields and has many tanking designed abilities to it's disposal. however it's lack of DPS out put is worrying as i may struggle to grind materials for my vocations or item like potions ect for raiding.

....the third option is to create a guardian tank and then when he reaches end game content, invest my time in creating a grinding character to fill the role that i wanted my Champion to fulfil....but is all that time invested in a new character really worth the end result? i supose i'll have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. One big thing that may influence your decision, Champions "can" tank, but they generally aren't the best at it, however they have nearly the highest DPS.
    Champions and Guardians both have stances, similar to Warriors in WoW.

    Guardian stances add things, such as bonus block, bonus parry, and bonus threat.

    Champion stances are different and change the playstyle drastically:
    Fervour: their DPS stance (increases DPS potential and decreases defenses).
    Ardour: Supposed to be their middle of the road stance (reduces defense and minimally increases DPS potential, its pretty much nothing though).
    Glory: tanking stance (which lowers DPS, but allows tanking abilities and defense).

    Either way I had fun with both Guardian and Champion class, even if I only got them to level 20.
    Well not sure exactly if this is how blogs work, but just thought I'd try and give some info.
    Hope you have fun with LOTRO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just some thoughts.

    I haven't looked at LOTROL very much, but I can't imagine it being very different then any other MMORPG out there.

    I assume that solo hunting is doable in LOTROL. Like WOW.

    Of course, grouping is going to always reward you with more loot in any game. But if you can solo, it's always easier to just log on and go to it rather then try to find a group.

    I have always found that the "main tank" in any game is pure defense. Not much DPS, just good ol Hit Points and Armour Class. Like WOW and EQ, solo hunting with a pure tank is harder then with other classes. But the pure tank is always best in a group at taking the hits.

    Here is my honest opinion.

    The only time I ever played a pure tank was when I was in a serious raiding guild on EverQuest. The only way I survived keeping my main raiding spot as the main tank was to have the best gear. The only way that I had the best gear was when I spent hours raiding to obtain the gear and when the rest of my guild mates also helped get gear for me. Now, I had lots of fun doing that, but I could never play a main tank anymore, because I just don't have the time and I don't like to do raids anymore.

    I'm more of a role player now, one who just wants to group up with fellow guild mates and have fun, so playing a main tank now really has little appeal to me.

    I like groups now, that are a little outside of the classic Tank,Crowd Control, Nuke and Healer set.

    There are always other ways to play the game, it just might be a little more challenging in dungeon settings.

    Soooo.......

    My suggestion is this. If you don't want to spend hours playing a "uber gear dependent" toon, like a pure tank, I would select something that could be effective as a tank, but also have a higher DPS output so you could solo effectively as well. If you want to pick a "tank like class" of course.

    As an example, when I played WOW, most of my friends and I played Hunters and druids.

    ReplyDelete